At SXSW on March 13, Emily Zweber, Jeff Fowle, Chris Chinn, and Zach Hunnicutt will share how farmers are using social and new media to bridge the gap between the 2% of the population who are farmers, and the remaining 98% of people who are not. The panel, moderated by Marla Schulman, are all family farmers who are driven and deeply committed to agriculture and want to share what they have with others.
The Center For Food Integrity shares several of the driving forces on consumers minds as they think about food. What are consumers seeing / hearing about food and how are those in agriculture incorporating that feedback into their production practices? Why Do People Think I'm An Animal?, from the 2010 Midwest Pork Conference, September 15, 2010, Danville, IN, USA.
"A long-overdue national conversation about food so far hasn't been much of a conversation. Instead, what we have are two armed camps deeply suspicious of one another shouting past each other" Russ Parsons, Los Angeles Times, Jan. 2010
Dr. Terry Etherton shares his thoughts on "regulation-induced stagnation" and the what it means.
My concern about regulatory stagnation is not an indictment of the need for evaluating new ag biotech products. --- However, we have a looming need to increase the pace of developing innovative ways to feed a growing population in the world… the last thing we need are regulatory obstacles or politics to slow down the scientific review process.